History of Double Oaks
Completed in early 1909, the Harden Thomas Martin House—now known as Double Oaks—is one of only a handful of surviving examples of Colonial Revival style architecture in the city of Greensboro. It was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
The house is the only known residential design of G. Will Armfield (1848–1927), a Guilford County native who pursued a successful career as a dry goods merchant before taking up architecture in his late 50s. The home was built for Harden Thomas Martin (1857–1936, pictured to the right), a native of Rockingham County who operated stores in Ayersville and Reidsville before moving to Greensboro in 1909, where he entered semi-retirement and engaged in small-scale real estate development.
Members of the Martin family lived in and owned the home until 1973. In 1977, the house was sold to Charles R. Forrester, a Greensboro businessman and former chairman of the Greensboro Historic District Commission. Win and Ann Milam purchased the house in 1995. The Milams operated the home as a bed and breakfast between 1998 and 2007, and otherwise completed a full-scale restoration. In 2016, James and Amanda Keith became the new owners, and opened the home once again to the community.